Metairie : (504) 838-1551
Mandeville : (985) 893-0610
Gretna : (504) 362-5000

Can a parent relocate with minor child(ren) and what is relocation?

The current law prohibits relocation more than 75 miles from the other parent or anywhere outside of the state of Louisiana. A parent seeking to relocate with a minor child must give notice to the other parent. If the other parent objects to the relocation, the objecting parent must file an objection with the court and a hearing must occur. Based upon factors outlined in the law, the court will determine if the child(ren) can relocate. Non-compliance with Louisiana relocation law may have serious consequences, such as losing custody.